Friday, January 23, 2009

Creating Myself

...the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates. ~Thomas Szasz

I read this quote on my daughter's blog. I love it, however, I've thought about it and have decided that it is not entirely true. I believe that we are free to create ourselves to be whatever we want but first we must find or discover who we truly are or our creating of ourselves will be random and meaningless. We must have a foundation to build on. Each of us must discover (if we don't already know) that each of us is a child of God. We are created by God, in his image, to become as he is. God has given
each of us gifts and talents that we must also discover for ourselves. By discovering and developing these gifts we show gratitude to our Creator for gifts he has given us. With the knowledge that we are God's children and that we have been given priceless gifts as our foundation, we then can create ourselves in a meaningful way. I have often asked myself, "Who was I created to be?" In the preexistance was I kind and charitable? Did I love poetry and music? Who and what do I want to be? I believe that God has a plan for each of us. He has a plan for me. Am I creating myself to be who I was created to be?

1 comment:

  1. Isaac and I were talking about that just the other day.

    ReplyDelete